BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday 16 August 2010

Be it ever so humble...

Woodside, Queens is the name of the suburb we’re staying in, although, our host assures us we’re technically in Sunnyside.  Apparently, this makes a difference.

We found our room on a website called AirBnB.  It seemed clean, accessible, and best of all cheap.  According to the man inspecting my documents as I came in through customs, he’d prefer to stay in a hotel.  I nodded politely for fear of being strip-searched and mentally crossed my fingers that everything would turn out ok.

It did.  It’s fine.  In fact I find it quite comfortable, although I’m sure it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

We’re staying with a somewhat awkward couple, Sarah and her husband Charlie.  They are artists who design t-shirts and they have two children (Chester who is 4 and a 9 month old baby girl whose name I don’t know).  Chester thinks Justin is a pirate.  He is cheeky and cute.  The family is renting out their rooms (and living in one room altogether themselves) before they move to a house in Philadelphia in a month or so.

There are six adults living in this house… And one bathroom.  That said, the shower is always free when I want it, so I can’t complain.

Let me take you on a tour… Once on the fourth floor you unlock the door and walk into a narrow hallway.  Looking straight ahead you see a curtained off area, the family lives here.  Hang your key on the wall and turn left down another narrow hall; you might notice a bunny in a cage on the floor beside you and shelves of screen-printing templates. 

At the end of the hall is a door.  Inside is a double bed (a little too soft) with polka-dot sheets, a red striped couch, some white shelves, a pedestal fan, and a vintage looking wardrobe.  On the back wall hangs a union flag. (The British flag… Did you know it’s only a union jack when it’s on a ship? Fun fact).  We have a place for everything (and everything in it’s place). 

At night, Justin takes the four cushions of the couch to create a bed on the floor.  He places a quilt underneath so they don’t slip around and a quilt on top.  He seems to like it.  We keep the windows open (even if there are a few summer flies) and have a little garden view… Kind of.  We have a tree.  It’s fresh and airy.

Out of our door and immediately to the left is the bathroom, which is old, but thankfully clean and functional.  The cold tap is the hot tap and the latch on the door is… a little quirky.  In any case, the water pressure is good and that’s what really matters.

Back to the end of the hall left and sharp left you’ll find the kitchen.  I’ve been into it once (tonight) and I couldn’t tell you much about it.

So that’s our place.  I hope I haven’t painted too negative a picture… It has its foibles, but I quite like it anyway.

Thanks for stopping by!

Love, Jules xx

0 comments: