BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday 24 August 2010

The Battery's down...

Just so you’re aware, I spent most of Saturday checking election results on the ABC website on my phone, an activity that was both frustrating and ultimately unsatisfying….  So that’s the last time I’m mentioning the election.

I woke up with a massive craving for breakfast food (good timing, I suppose), so I rallied the boys and headed to Aubergine.  Fruit salad and a sesame bagel quelled the desperation and I was ready to face the day.  This was Justin’s last day in NYC, so we decided to get about and see a few things.

We caught the subway all the way downtown and got onto the Staten Island Ferry.  Standing and looking over the side we had decent views of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty.  It was nice to be out on the water watching the boats.  Our ferry was called John F. Kennedy and when we arrived at Staten Island we turned around and got right back on to JFK to complete the second leg of our journey.  We did consider staying on Staten Island, but given the choice, I’d take Manhattan… We all would.  And so we did.

Back on the exciting island (and seriously contemplating heading to Ellis Island in my final week) we stopped for lunch at the Battery Park Beer Garden, which was a BBQ, a tarpaulin, and a refrigerator.  Here, I had my first New York City hotdog with ketchup and mustard… And it did not disappoint. 

Refreshed and feeling more energetic we wandered through Battery Park looking at various war memorials.  As we walked a man brushed past me and muttered something that sounded like “sunglasses”.  Surely he wasn’t offering to sell me counterfeit or stolen goods, was he?  However, a few moments later when I was propositioned again, this time with “Handbags?”  I realised I was being targeted.  No, I did not want counterfeit or stolen goods, it would be detrimental to an industry I respect, fear, and admire.  The fashion industry.  Back off pedlars.

A little taken aback, my attention was soon taken by a certain tour guide.  He was earnestly relaying information to his group regarding a certain sculpture in the park.  It's called The Sphere and it used to sit at the base of the two towers in the World Trade Centre.  When the attacks occurred, the towers actually fell on top of the sculpture (that symbolises peace through world trade).  It now stands in Battery Park behind an eternal flame.  It has been left in its damaged state.  Mind blowing.

We got back on the subway and headed uptown to the death place of John Lennon, well the approximate death place of John Lennon; The Dakota Hotel has no sign.  We listened to Imagine on Justin’s iPod as we reboarded the subway to make our way even further uptown.

Next tourist stop was Tom’s Restaurant.  The diner from Seinfeld.  Photos taken, we went inside to the most pleasant customer service experience in history.  Our waitress was absolutely lovely and helpful and attentive.  On her recommendation we chose epic malted shakes and fries, a combination that made us deathly full, but also really quite satisfied.

Last stop for the day was the Apple store again, this time to buy my new laptop.  Pleasingly, the staff were as efficient and friendly as they were the day before.  The whole process was over in less than 20 minutes and we started home so Justin could pack and get a decent night’s sleep before his flight.  This was somewhat interrupted by a friendly (and lengthy) catch-up with our host, Sarah and four-year-old Chester who was keen to say goodbye to Justin the Pirate before he departed on his Pirate Ship the following morning.

Almost up to date, loads of love… Jules xx

0 comments: