BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday 11 October 2010

To market, to market... to market...

What a day! Great weather lifts the spirits. At the moment, I’m sitting in my bedroom feeling inspired… Generally inspired. Inspired to cook and dance and travel (among other wonderfully creative things) and I think it’s all due to a bit of “fresh air and sunshine”.

This morning (after a respectable Sunday lie-in) Justin, Alanya, and I headed to East Finchley’s High Road to explore the French market.  I get the impression it takes place a few times a year.  It’s not very big, but there are plenty of samples and we came home laden with cheeses, bread, and jams (raspberry and rhubarb).  After dropping the goodies off, we set off in the opposite direction in search of a farmers market. 

The market itself was small, but I tasted a ginger cider (delicious) and bought myself a King Cheddar cheese toastie and fresh apple and raspberry juice for lunch.  The greatest discovery, however, was the grounds in which the markets were held.  Avenue House is surrounded by beautiful gardens and something of a forest walk.  If I hadn’t known better, I would have thought we were a good few hours out of London exploring the grounds of a grand old manor… Or something. 

The weather, as I mentioned, was incredible.  Unseasonably warm and not a cloud in the sky.  We sat on the grass, in the sunshine, drinking tea…  All this with the added beauty of scattered autumn leaves.

Feeling the day was not yet over (well, it was only 1:30 in the afternoon), we decided to continue with the market theme and caught the tube to Liverpool Street and walked to Brick Lane.  The atmosphere there was infectious.  Food, antiques, vintage clothing… We explored and indulged in vegan peanut butter and chocolate cupcakes. 

I feel that I’ll be making a few trips to Brick Lane during my time here.  And on those occasions I will make sure that I get my cash out before arriving at Liverpool Street station.  The lines for the ATMs are insane, beyond insane.  Littered with hipsters.  And although I had experienced that 5 years ago on my first visit to Spitalfields Market (also in the area and absolutely worth a visit… or ten), I had forgotten.

After a few hours we made our way back to the station and then set off home.  I’m now waiting for Josh to get home from work so that he, Justin, and I can indulge in French cheeses and bread. I hope he hurries back; I’m feeling quite hungry!

Sunshine-induced positivity and love, Jules xx

0 comments: